Information for yoga beginners.
If you’ve never tried bikram yoga before, that’s OK. You’ll find our yoga studio to be very welcoming – just talk to an instructor or one of your fellow students for help. Here are a few tips to keep in mind before coming to your first hot yoga class.
The New Zealand League team dropped by for a team session. Go the Kiwi's!
Tips for students new to Bikram Yoga.
- Avoid eating 2-3 hours before class. Bikram Yoga is always best practiced on an empty stomach. Some people however need to have a little something in their belly (yoghurt, salad or a piece of fruit). You’ll soon figure out what works for you and what your body needs.
- Hydrate. Try to drink plenty of water throughout the day, rather than just before you start class. Ideally, according to leading nutritionists you should be drinking about two litres of water a day.
- Wear light, comfortable clothing. Remember the yoga studio is hot, so avoid wearing long pants and heavy t-shirts. Sleeveless tops and shorts are best.
- Bring a large bath towel, a yoga mat and a bottle of water. If you'd like to shower after class, bring an extra towel. We also have all these things available to hire/purchase at the studio.
- Come with an open mind and an open heart. Be ready to laugh a little, maybe cry a little, and to sweat a lot!
Bikram hot yoga etiquette.
- No mobile phones or any other belongings are to be taken into the yoga studio. All you need is your yoga mat, towel and water.
- Sign in at reception before going to the yoga studio/changing room.
- Avoid wearing any strong perfumes or deodorants. Showers/changing rooms are available should you require them before and after class.
- Please respect non-smokers by not smoking before entering the class, as this is a 100% smoke free environment.
- Stay in the room for the full 90 minutes.
- Please observe complete silence in the yoga room.
- Please make sure you take all your belongings with you at the end of class. Lost and found items are donated to charity monthly.
Are you ready to try hot yoga?
If you want to improve your strength, flexibility and overall wellbeing, it’s time for you to give bikram hot yoga a try. Find out more about us, choose a class from our current schedule, or read our FAQ for more information on our Auckland yoga classes.