Why Bikram Yoga?
The bikram yoga method helps to stimulate the organs, glands and nerves, moving fresh oxygenated blood to 100 per cent of the body and restoring it to healthy working order.
Bikram Choudhury scientifically designed this 90-minute program to deliver total health through the balancing and strengthening of every system in the body in order to prevent illness, injury and limit the effects of ageing. Additionally each yoga posture (asana), in the series, combines the skills of concentration, patience, determination and self-control, which lead to increased mental clarity and reduced stress.
Bikram's beginning yoga class is practiced in a heated room to warm your muscles, prevent injury, allow a deeper stretch and cleanse the body by flushing toxins. In just 90 minutes every system in the body is stimulated from the bones to the skin, leaving you invigorated and energised. So give it a try; sweat, stretch and laugh. You will definitely feel better for it!
Benefits of Bikram Yoga.
Yoga is an ancient science that has been around for thousands of years and will continue to grow because of the phenomenal effect it has on the quality of your life.
There is evidence to support the benefits of hatha yoga being a preventative and therapeutic medicine. Conditions such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, insomnia, high/low blood pressure, weight issues and other health problems have been shown to rapidly improve.
The bikram yoga series consists of 26 yoga postures and two breathing exercises scientifically designed to work through the body systematically, each posture preparing you for the next, with each posture completed twice. Here are some of the many benefits of bikram yoga:
- Cardiovascular efficiency increases.
- Respiratory efficiency increases.
- Gastrointestinal function normalises.
- Endocrine function normalises.
- Musculoskeletal flexibility and joint range of motion increase.
- Posture improves.
- Strength and resiliency increase.
- Endurance increases.
- Energy level increases.
- Sleep improves.
- Immunity increases.
- Balance improves.
- Awareness increases.
- Mood improves and subjective well being increases.
- Self-acceptance and self-actualisation increase.
- Concentration improves.
- Builds strength, flexibility, balance and tremendous endurance.
- Prevents/reduces chronic illnesses and injuries.
- Promotes better sleep.
- Promotes a deep sense of well being and peaceful mind.
- Weight loss/toning.
- Maintains a youthful appearance, as the oxygenation and cleansing improves skin tone.
- Reduces stress.
- Works every system of the body: cardiovascular, nervous, lymphatic, endocrine, immune, digestive, reproductive, muscular and skeletal.
- Works every organ, gland, muscle, tendon and ligament in the body.
- Promotes greater flexibility of your spine in its full range of motion, allowing the central nervous system to function optimally resulting in high levels of energy.
- Builds mental strength by holding your mind in a focused meditative state.
The benefits of a heated yoga studio.
- Muscles, fascia and connective tissue become more elastic allowing for greater flexibility with less chance of injury.
- Promotes sweating which assists the detoxification process using the body’s largest eliminating organ, the skin.
- Blood becomes thinner, which clears the circulatory system.
- When the body is between three and five degrees above normal temperature, T cell output from the thymus gland is multiplied 20 fold. T cells fight infection that in turn keeps the immune system functioning properly.
- Warmer temperatures produce a fluid like stretch that allows for greater range of motion.
- Your heart rate is elevated, improving the cardiovascular system (heart and lungs).
- Warm muscles burn fat more effectively. When we stretch, the fat has no room to sit so it redistributes to the blood stream that we then use as energy.
- Capillaries respond to heat by dilating. This allows more oxygen to muscles, tissues, glands and organs helping in the removal of waste products.
- Higher temperatures improve the function of the nervous system, meaning that messages are carried more rapidly to and from the brain or spinal cord (resulting in clarity of thought).
- Improves strength because proteins can be utilised more effectively.
- Speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids.
- Strengthens willpower, self-control and determination through the challenging environment.
- Want to experience the benefits of bikram yoga for yourself?
Our hot yoga studio is located in the East Tamaki/Botany suburb of Auckland, New Zealand. All newcomers are welcome, even if you’re a yoga beginner. Please read more about us, check out our FAQ, or choose a class from our schedule.